Perdue Farms contractor electrocuted

A man working as a contractor with Perdue Farms has died

PERRY, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) — A man working as a contractor at Perdue Farms was electrocuted on Sunday August 8, 2021.

Houston County Deputy Coroner David Gabbard tells 41NBC that the victim was 23 year-old Antonio Ramirez, who was cleaning what workers at Perdue Farms call the “hot room” when his supervisor walked in around 5:29 a.m. and found him kneeling on the ground. Gabbard said the supervisor walked over to Ramirez to check on him, and when the supervisor saw that he was wet and felt a shock, the supervisor realized that he had been electrocuted.

Gabbard said that the supervisor attempted CPR on Ramirez until EMS arrived to take him to Perry Hospital. According to Gabbard there were no signs of life between when the supervisor found him shocked and when they pronounced him dead at the hospital at 6:30 a.m.

A Perdue spokesperson said that Ramirez was working with Perdue as a contractor from a company called QSI and provided this statement concerning the incident:

“We are deeply saddened by the death of a contractor working for a company that cleans our production equipment who was fatally injured in an accident Sunday morning at our Prepared Food facility in Perry, Ga. The safety of our workers and facilities is always Perdue’s top priority, and we are taking the matter very seriously. We are in communication with local authorities and the contracting company, and our deepest condolences go out to his family, friends and co-workers.”

Categories: Featured, Houston County, Local News