Jeff Gordon calls it ‘highly unlikely’ he’ll race in 2016

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) – Jeff Gordon is backing away from the possibility of running more races after this year.

The four-time NASCAR champion announced last month this will be his final year as a full-time driver, but he did not use the word retirement.

On Thursday, he said it’s “highly unlikely” he’ll race a Sprint Cup car in 2016. He says it is difficult to put together a ride for one race and be competitive enough to win. He said trying to get a one-off ride with Hendrick Motorsports would be disruptive to the organization.

Gordon starts on the pole for Sunday’s season-opening Daytona 500.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Categories: Motorsports, National Sports, Regional Sports, Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *