UPDATE: Grant’s Lounge to close next month

MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – A downtown Macon bar rich with music history is closing its doors next month.

Grant’s Lounge opened on Poplar Street in 1971. Owner Edward Grant Jr. tells 41NBC, the landowner of the building has been getting pressure from the business community to shut down the bar.

This comes after a shooting happened outside the business last weekend. Grant says that was an isolated incident, one of just two in the last 44 years.

He adds this will be a loss for the community.

“If you look at all the names and writings on the wall, this belongs to the people,” Grant said. “There have been over a million people that have come through Grant’s over the last 44 years.”

Earlier this week Grant announced new policies for the bar.

One of the owners of the bar spoke to 41NBC on Friday about his decision to close the bar. Gene Dunwody says he has received complaints about the business in the past, but last week’s shooting was the breaking point.

Dunwody says he believes the bar doesn’t fit in with downtown’s growing residential community.

“We decided that we needed to take some sort of decisive action that would get people’s attention and give us a chance to kind of rethink everything and way we can move forward,” Dunwody said.

Dunwody adds Grant’s is an icon in Macon and he hopes to improve the business.

The bar is closing on October 1st.

Categories: Bibb County, Local News