Two killed in Cochran house fire after son tries to save mother
COCHRAN, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – A woman and her son were killed in house fire Thursday afternoon in Cochran.
The Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says the accidental fire happened just after 4 p.m. on W. Peters Street. It happened as a result of unattended cooking on the stovetop.
According to Commissioner Hudgens, 53-year-old Larry Jackson pushed the caretaker out of the door during the fire, then went back in the house to get his mother, 83-year-old Elmon Lee Jackson, who was bedridden. Both Jackson and his mother died.
When firefighters arrived on scene, the home was fully involved with flames and smoke.
“He knew his mother was in there and she was bedridden and he wanted to go get her out and it wound up costing him his life too,” said Cochran Mayor Billy Yeomans. “He won’t get to celebrate with us that he was a hero, for saving one person.”
Mrs. Jackson’s birthday was August 25th, and Mr. Jackson is September 1st.
Willie Hart, looks at what’s left from the house fire that took his son’s life. Larry Jackson died when he went back into the home to save his mother , Elmon Lee Jackson, from the fire. Both lives were taken, but Larry saved one. I’ll have the story tonight on @41NBC at 6. pic.twitter.com/t27BVHHlks
— Edna Ruiz (@ednaruiztv) August 31, 2018
These deaths bring the number of fire deaths in Georgia for 2018 to 65.
Cochran Fire Chief, Kevin Noles, says firefighters found two smoke detectors in the home, but there were not any batteries in them.