Macon-Bibb Fire Department wants you to avoid fires caused by space heaters this winter

MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – The Macon-Bibb Fire Department said more house fires happen during the winter because of space heaters.

Jeremy Webb, Fire Safety Educator, said fires happen because people don’t use space heaters properly.

Webb said your space heater should be at least three feet away from materials on all sides to prevent a fire.

“Leaving space heaters unattended is one of the big issues that we have. Be mindful that space heaters are for small areas of space, ” Webb said. “Some people improperly use space heaters where they try to heat a large amount of area.”

Webb said if you can use a space heater at work don’t put the heater under your desk. Instead put the heater at least three feet behind you.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *