Investigators blame space heaters as the cause of two house fires

MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – Macon-Bibb Fire Department investigators reported two house fires on Tuesday night.

Family members returned to their Alta Vita Avenue home after running errands to find their home on fire. After an investigation, the fire department officials said the family’s space heater is to blame. 

“The space heater was too close to the mattress and also being plugged into a couple of drop cords, that tends to cause the heaters to overheat,” said Macon-Bibb Fire Department Investigator Ben Gleaton.

Gleaton adds later that night, a man woke up to flames inside his Washington Street house. His space heater caught the couch on fire.

“The smoke alarm alerted the occupant, got him up, he saw the fire and left the structure, so it got him up in time, before it was overcome by any smoke or fire,” explained Gleaton.

Macon-Bibb Fire Department has many ways that you can prevent this from happening to your house.

They suggest:
   -Purchasing only space heaters that have been safety tested.
   -Never use extension cords or multiple plugs with a space heater.
   -Turn off your space heater and unplug it before leaving the room or going to bed.
   -Never allow pets or children near an electric heater.
   -Keep away from anything flammable.

Fire officials stressed how using these tips can help save your home.

Also, the Macon-Bibb Fire Department offers free installation of smoke detectors. If you would like to have one in your home, call 478-751-9180.

Categories: Bibb County, Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *