Flames burst from generator, destroy home in Gray
GRAY, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – A fire destroyed a house in Gray Tuesday night. A family lost power after Irma and was relying on their generator. What they didn’t know, was it would cause their home to go up in flames. According to the Gray Fire Department, it happened just before 11 PM on 1443 Monticello Highway.
“I was just in shock, I was just devastated,” said Diane Hill, owner of the property. “I grew up here. Generations of kids grew up here. It was just a place everybody gathered.”
Hill’s grandfather built the house in 1913. After her parents passed away, Hill inherited the house. She later rented it out.
“I had a lot things stored upstairs in the attic and I had it rented out to the McCook family,” said Hill. “Of course, they lost everything.”
“They were getting ready for bed last night, a little bit after nine o’clock and the generator stopped, the fellow went and looked out and there was a fire,” said Gray Fire Chief, Max Wood.
Chief Wood says the fire quickly spread to the attic, but everyone got out in time.
“The generator had an issue, we just know it started around the generator,” said Chief Wood.
The generator was outside, so the fire department doesn’t think it was anything the family did wrong.
“We’ve had some carbon monoxide calls from exhaust in houses,” said Chief Wood. “You don’t want to run it inside or a car port you want it to be well ventilated. You also want it to be properly wired.”
Following these steps can prevent some generator accidents from happening. This accident, however, couldn’t and left two families without a home..
You can donate to the McCook family on a GoFundMe page set up by their friends. You can click here for the link.
Chief Wood says this is the second fire to happen in the last two days in Jones County because of a generator. He suggests if you have any questions about your generator, contact your local fire department, or an electrician.