UPDATE: Applications open for temporary Dublin school board seats

Applicants have until 5 p.m. on August 26 to submit a letter of intent and résumé. The committee will recommend candidates to Gov. Brian Kemp.
Georgia Department of Education/YouTube

UPDATE (8/19/26): The Dublin City Board of Education Nominating Committee is accepting letters of intent and resumes from people interested in serving as temporary replacement board members.

According to a news release, applicants must include the board district where they live and their physical address. The deadline is 5 p.m. Wednesday, August 26.

Submissions can be emailed to DublinCityNominatingCommittee@doe.k12.ga.us or delivered to Plum Alley at 2032 D Veterans Blvd. in Dublin.

“We encourage qualified individuals who are interested in serving on the Dublin City Board of Education to submit their letter of intent and resume for consideration,” House Appropriations Chairman Matt Hatchett said. “The nominating committee will carefully consider qualified candidates and recommend individuals to the governor who can help provide strong leadership for Dublin City Schools during this transition.”

The five-member committee will recommend candidates to Gov. Brian Kemp, who will appoint the temporary replacements.

“Dublin’s students and teachers deserve steady leadership committed to providing all students with a quality education,” President Pro Tempore Walker said. “This is an important opportunity for qualified members of the community to step forward and serve. I encourage those who are committed to the future success of Dublin City Schools to submit an application as the nominating committee begins this important work.”


UPDATE (8/17/26): Gov. Brian Kemp signed an executive order Monday suspending all seven eligible members of the Dublin City Board of Education following the State Board of Education’s unanimous recommendation last week.

The suspensions are with pay under state law.

However, the joint filing provided last week says the board previously voted to waive its $150-per-meeting compensation for fiscal years 2026 and 2027 as part of the district’s deficit reduction plan.

The suspended members are Amanda Smith, John Bell, Jeff Davis, Joanna Glover, Peggy Johnson, James Lanier and Kenny Walters.

Monday night’s scheduled board meeting has been canceled.

Kemp also created a five-member committee to nominate temporary replacement board members. The committee includes State Board of Education member Matt Donaldson, who will serve as chairman; state Sen. Larry Walker; state Rep. Matt Hatchett; former Dublin Mayor Phil Best and Dublin community member Edwin May.

The order does not appoint the temporary replacements. The committee will recommend candidates to Kemp, who will make the appointments.

Under state law, suspended members can petition Kemp for reinstatement no earlier than 30 days and no later than 60 days after their suspension. If a member does not petition within that period, the suspension becomes a permanent removal and the temporary replacement becomes a permanent member.


UPDATE (8/12/26): The Georgia State Board of Education voted unanimously Wednesday to recommend that Gov. Brian Kemp suspend all eligible members of the Dublin City Board of Education with pay.

The vote followed an hours-long hearing and an executive session. The district’s “Accredited Under Conditions” status with Cognia, the level immediately preceding loss of accreditation, triggered the suspension process.

The State Board said its written decision will be sent to Kemp and the parties within 15 days. Kemp will decide whether to suspend the board members.

What would happen next?

If Kemp accepts the recommendation, state law allows him to suspend the eligible board members with pay and appoint temporary replacements in consultation with the State Board.

Under the law, eligible members are those who were serving when Cognia placed Dublin City Schools at the accreditation level immediately preceding loss of accreditation.

Any suspended member could petition Kemp for reinstatement beginning 30 days after the suspension but no later than 60 days afterward. A member who does not petition within that period would be permanently removed.

If a member seeks reinstatement, Kemp or someone he designates would hold a hearing within 90 days of the petition. The hearing would determine whether the member’s continued service would be more likely than not to improve the district’s ability to retain or regain full accreditation.


ORIGINAL STORY (8/12/26):

ATLANTA (41NBC/WMGT) — The Georgia State Board of Education is holding a hearing Wednesday as it considers whether to recommend that Gov. Brian Kemp suspend all seven members of the Dublin City Board of Education.

The Georgia Department of Education is seeking the suspension of Chair Mandy Smith, Vice Chair John Bell, Jeff Davis, Joanna Glover, Peggy Johnson, James Lanier and Kenny Walters. The board members oppose suspension, according to a 76-page statement of facts agreed to by both sides.

The hearing began at 9 a.m. You can watch the hearing live here.

Wednesday’s proceeding continues a hearing that began June 9. The State Board granted the Dublin board’s request to continue the case until August.

The agenda includes jointly agreed facts, documentation and possible witnesses from both GaDOE and the Dublin City Board of Education. An executive session is also listed.

How the suspension process works

The hearing is being held under O.C.G.A. § 20-2-73, which applies when a school district is placed at the accreditation level immediately preceding loss of accreditation.

Under State Board rules, testimony must be taken publicly, but the State Board can deliberate in private. Any vote on whether to recommend suspension must be public and can take place after the hearing or at the board’s next regular meeting.

The State Board must notify Kemp and the parties of its decision at the end of the hearing or within 15 days.

If the State Board recommends suspension, Kemp can decide whether to suspend eligible members with pay. He could then appoint temporary replacement members in consultation with the State Board.

Accreditation decision triggered the hearing

The joint filing says Cognia conferred “Accredited Under Conditions” status on Dublin City Schools April 10. That placed the district one step from losing accreditation and triggered the State Board’s authority to conduct the suspension hearing.

Cognia issued its lowest-level finding for seven standards involving stakeholder engagement, board oversight, personnel management, district operations, resource allocation, use of data and evaluation of instructional programs.

The report also found inconsistent compliance with Georgia’s open meetings requirements.

Dublin City Schools submitted a response and action plan to Cognia in June. Cognia notified the district July 9 that it would remain “Accredited Under Conditions” until at least its next monitoring review. The district must carry out its action plan and submit evidence showing its progress.

House Appropriations Chairman Matt Hatchett of Dublin and Senate President Pro Tempore Larry Walker III of Perry sent a letter to the State Board last week asking it to move forward with the hearing and consider steps to improve governance, financial accountability and public confidence.

Financial problems detailed in agreed facts

The joint filing contains 246 facts that attorneys for GaDOE and the Dublin board agreed are true.

The filing says Dublin City Schools reported general fund deficits for each fiscal year from 2009 through 2014. Financial problems later returned after temporary federal COVID-19 funding expired.

In August 2025, state officials learned the district had not paid approximately $5.6 million in employer contributions to the State Health Benefit Plan during fiscal year 2025. Employee contributions were also months behind.

By September 2025, GaDOE documented an outstanding health-plan balance of approximately $6.7 million and a projected cash shortage of more than $13.4 million by June 2026.

Dublin City Schools entered a Financial Improvement Plan requiring it to pay overdue employee contributions, complete delayed audits, submit deficit and cash-flow plans and provide continued financial reports to the state.

The district also needed multiple advances on future Quality Basic Education funding to meet payroll. The agreed facts list advances of about $1.45 million in September, $1.54 million in October, $1 million in November, $1.3 million in December and $200,000 in January.

Audits found weak controls and budget problems

A January special report from the Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts identified potential waste and abuse, overstaffing, excessive personnel costs and the use of temporary money for ongoing expenses.

The report found the district’s original fiscal year 2024 budget projected an $849,000 deficit, while actual spending exceeded the budget by nearly $5 million.

It also found that actual expenses exceeded the original budgets approved by the Dublin board by approximately $15.6 million over fiscal years 2022 through 2024.

According to the agreed facts, the state audit found Dublin City Schools spent approximately $3.9 million more on salaries than comparable districts. It also found the district spent more than $14 million in federal pandemic-relief money on salaries and benefits instead of academic programs.

A separate fiscal year 2023 audit by Mauldin & Jenkins identified material weaknesses, significant deficiencies and failures to comply with some federal grant requirements.

Financial reports from February 2026 showed a negative general fund balance of approximately $1.76 million. The district reported about $7.69 million in liabilities and $5.93 million in assets.

State withdrew dedicated staff

GaDOE provided full-time on-site staff and independent contractors to help Dublin City Schools from October 2025 through April.

State School Superintendent Richard Woods notified the district March 24 that GaDOE would withdraw its dedicated staff because the department no longer had confidence district leadership would make the decisions needed to balance its fiscal year 2027 and 2028 budgets.

Smith disputed the state’s conclusions. She said a tentative budget presented to the Dublin board showed an estimated $342,000 surplus based on information provided by a GaDOE staff member. The district was told the following day that the information was incorrect and the proposal would instead result in a small deficit.

GaDOE’s dedicated assignment ended April 3, although state staff continued providing assistance when requested and as part of their regular statewide duties.

The district’s recovery steps have included approximately $3 million in additional reductions, 10 fewer calendar days, transportation and travel cuts, staffing changes and fewer workdays for some employees.

In May, the district reported progress toward its Financial Improvement Plan goals, budget savings and the hiring of a chief financial officer.

Both sides list possible witnesses

GaDOE’s possible witnesses include Special Adviser Dr. Stephanie Johnson, state Chief Financial Officer Rusk Roam, Financial Review Director Amy Rowell, Deputy State Auditor Kristina Turner and representatives from Cognia.

The state’s list also includes Dr. DeMarcos Holland, the former sole finalist for Dublin City Schools superintendent. The filing says Holland could testify about the superintendent search and his communications with the district and board.

The Dublin board named Holland its sole finalist June 17 but ended the search in July after the two sides could not reach a compensation agreement.

The Dublin board’s possible witnesses include all seven current members, former member Regina McRae, former Finance Director Chad McDaniel, Interim Superintendent Marcee Pool and several district employees and financial consultants.

The board’s filing says its members may testify about what financial information they received, information they say was withheld from them and the steps they took in response to the crisis.

McDaniel is listed as a possible witness concerning financial information allegedly withheld from the board, including the district’s failure to make State Health Benefit Plan payments.

41NBC will update this story when the State Board announces its recommendation.

Categories: Education, Featured, Laurens County, Local News