Bibb County Sheriff’s Office offers tips to avoid credit card skimmers
MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – Investigators with the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office’s Crime Prevention Network want to help residents avoid credit card skimmers.
According to the sheriff’s office, devices used to copy the information of a credit or debit card are now being used on ATMs.
Here are a few tips from the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office:
- Pay with cash. Easier said than done sometimes, particularly if you prefer not to carry a lot of cash around. You can also consider using a gift card.
- Use a credit card, which limits your liability to $50. Stolen debit card information can give a thief direct access to the actual money in your bank account.
- Look before you swipe. At gas pumps and ATMs, inspect the card reader for any signs that it’s been tampered with, including scratches or loose-fitting hardware.
- Keep your card in sight. If you have to hand it over, at a restaurant or bar, for instance, make sure it’s a credit card (see #2, above). Also, to the extent you can, watch carefully and don’t let it disappear for a long period of time.
- Check your financial statements regularly and report any questionable transactions immediately.
Click here for more information on