Houston County schools to add metal detectors, security guards at middle and high schools
The systems are expected to be delivered within approximately four to eight weeks.

WARNER ROBINS, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) — Metal detectors are coming to every middle and high school in the Houston County School District as part of new safety measures that will also include additional security guards.
The Houston County School District announced Thursday it is moving forward with plans to purchase metal detection systems for all middle and high schools, as well as stadiums and competition gyms.
According to the district, the systems are expected to be delivered within approximately four to eight weeks. District officials plan to use that time to develop procedures, determine where the systems will be placed and prepare for implementation.
The announcement comes as the district continues reviewing its school safety measures. District leaders said they spoke with schools that already use metal detection systems to learn how the technology has been incorporated into daily operations.
“Our responsibility is to continually evaluate how we can strengthen safety for our students and staff,” Superintendent Dr. Richard Rogers said. “We have listened to the questions and concerns of our families, employees, and community, and we believe adding metal detectors is an important next step. As we add this layer of security, we will also prioritize a welcoming, positive learning environment for every student.”
The district also plans to add a security guard at each middle school, high school and the Houston College & Career Academy. The guards will help operate metal detectors at each school’s main entrance and provide additional security and support during the school day.
The district plans to begin hiring for those positions in September.
The new measures will be added to security already in place throughout the district, including school resource officers, controlled access, security cameras, emergency alert technology, staff training and emergency response procedures.
According to the district, officials will also continue evaluating campuses to determine whether additional fencing or access-control measures are needed.
“There is still important work ahead as we determine exactly how these measures will be implemented at each school,” Rogers said. “We want to be thoughtful about that process. Our goal is to strengthen security while continuing to make our schools places where students feel welcomed, supported, and ready to learn.”
The district said available funds within its fiscal year 2027 budget will be used to pay for the additional safety measures.
According to the district, the investments will not result in an increase to the millage rate. The Houston County Board of Education previously approved a full rollback of the district’s millage rate for the 2026 tax year, and the district said that rate will remain unchanged.
Additional information about how the new safety measures will be implemented will be shared with families and employees as plans are finalized.