Fort Valley, Byron prepare for 35th annual Georgia Peach Festival
The festival runs June 4th and 5th in Fort Valley and wraps up June 12th in Byron.
FORT VALLEY, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – The 35th annual Georgia Peach Festival kicks off this weekend in Peach County. The annual event attracts more than 5,000 visitors, including church groups, senior groups and charter bus tours.
The Georgia tradition is a shared festival between the cities of Fort Valley and Byron. And it is home to the world’s largest peach cobbler. The festival runs June 4th and 5th in Fort Valley and wraps up June 12th in Byron.
This year includes several new events and activities throughout the week. Many of the events are held Saturday, June 5th, in downtown Fort Valley. They include the following:
- Pancake breakfast @ 7am-9am
- Festival Activities, Food and Arts N Crafts Vendors Sales
- Georgia Peach Festival Parade @10am
- Introduction of the Festival Official Ambassadors – the Georgia Peach Queens @11am
- Local Talent & Music Entertainment 11am-5pm
- Fort Valley Historical Society Chicken Salad Lunch @11am
- Sweet Peaches Sale
- Peachwalk – Eat A Peach Contest @11am
- World’s Largest Peach Cobbler at 2:00 pm
- Georgia Peach Festival Free Concert featuring “The Legendary Tams and the 14K Gold Band and Salsa Artist Marlow Rosado” @6pm
This year the festival will hold an unveiling and dedication ceremony for a mural titled “Peaches and More” at 110 South Camellia Blvd on the first day of the festival. The ceremony will happen at 9:00am on Friday, June 4th.
The Georgia Peach Queens will be signing autographs at Lanes Southern Orchard in Fort Valley at 3:00pm Saturday. The Georgia Peach Queens serve as official ambassadors of the festival. They include the following:
- Sydney Dorsey of Swainsboro –2021 Miss Georgia Peach
- Kensley Davis of Lyons – Junior Miss Georgia Peach
- Jenna Grinolds of Unadilla – Little Miss Georgia Peach
- Ava Carpenter of Vidalia – Tiny Miss Georgia Peach
The night ends with the Spectacular Fireworks Show Extravaganza at 10:45pm. The fireworks display will take place Saturday, June 5th in Fort Valley and Saturday, June 12th in Byron.
Each year, the Georgia Peach Festival honors peach growers for their contribution to our state’s economy and to the food industry worldwide. According to festival organizers, Georgia ranks third in the nation in the annual production of peaches. More than 15,000 acres of peach trees yielding more than 1.7 million bushels of peaches annually. More than half of that harvest is cultivated in Peach County alone.
Click here to watch Georgia Peach Festival interview on 41Today.
For more information on the Georgia Peach Festival, visit the event website or contact the Georgia Peach Festival Office at 478-825-4002.