Suspect in 'swatting' death served time for false bomb reports

0

Image: Tyler Barriss

Tyler Barriss in a 2015 police booking photo. Glendale Police Department / Reuters file

- Advertisement -

The cases involved four separate threats — two against KABC-TV and one each against an elementary school in Los Angeles and a middle school in Granada Hills, near Los Angeles, the spokesman said.

The cases were consolidated, and Barriss pleaded no contest in May 2016 to felony counts of making a false report of a bomb to an agency or business and maliciously reporting a false bombing. He was sentenced to 32 months in the Los Angeles County Jail, the district attorney’s office said; under California law, non-violent offenders customarily are released after serving half of their sentences.

No information was immediately available on whether he was on probation or whether he was being monitored.

The FBI’s Los Angeles field office separately confirmed Tuesday night that it worked with Los Angeles-area police on a series of threats Barriss allegedly made in or around 2015. It said it deferred to California authorities to pursue prosecution.

A spokesman for police in Glendale, north of Los Angeles, told NBC News that Barriss is believed to have made about 20 threat-related calls around the country during the time of that investigation. Some of the calls went to universities and news organizations, Sgt. Dan Suttles said.

Wichita police said a man believed to be Barriss called 911 on Thursday and claimed that his father had been shot in the head and that he was holding his mother and a sibling at gunpoint. Police said one of the officers who responded to Finch’s home fired after the victim moved his hand toward the area of his waistband.

Image: Andrew Finch

SHARE