Areas by bodies of water and mountains don't experience tornadoes.
The correct answer is b.) False.
Tornadoes can happen ANYWHERE and at ANYTIME of the year, so it's important that you know what to do in the event of severe weather.
Remember that a TORNADO WATCH means that conditions in the atmosphere are favorable for the development of tornadoes. When we're under a Tornado Watch, you should:
- Monitor NOAA Weather Radios
- Stay tuned to local media
- Keep an eye to the sky & stay weather aware.
A TORNADO WARNING means that doppler radar has indicated rotation, or a tornado has been spotted by a trained weather spotter. When your area is under a Tornado Warning, you should:
- Take action
- Go to the most interior room on the lowest level of your home
- Protect your head with blankets, pillows, a mattress, or even a helmet of some sort (This is especially important for your little ones!)
- It's also a good idea to have a pair of shoes on so that if there is damage around you, you won't step on any glass or other debris.