FacebookTwitterYouTube

Bayne moving over to Sprint Cup full-time in 2015

<p>Trevor Bayne, who shocked the racing world in 2011 when he won the Daytona 500, has secured a full-time ride for the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.</p>

Concord, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Trevor Bayne, who shocked the racing world in 2011 when he won the Daytona 500, has secured a full-time ride for the 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.

During a press conference on Saturday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Bayne and team owner Jack Roush announced that Bayne will drive the No. 6 Ford full-time for Roush Fenway Racing in Sprint Cup next year. AdvoCare will be the primary sponsor for the team.

Bayne, 23, has been driving the No. 6 car in the Nationwide Series full-time for Roush Fenway since the start of the 2013. He's also been running a partial schedule in Sprint Cup, behind the wheel of the No. 21 car for Wood Brothers Racing.

"This is obviously the biggest news I've ever had in my life," Bayne said. "Although we've had some big news before, this takes the cake...This is a huge opportunity for me to be able to drive the 6 car with a full-time sponsor like AdvoCare, but I could have never done all of this without the people who have been behind me."

Bayne has 50 career starts in Sprint Cup, including four this year. He qualified 14th for Sunday night's Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte. All of his Cup starts have been with the Wood Brothers.

"I just left the Wood Brothers hauler from talking to Eddie and Len, so if I'm a little shaky and look like I might have been teared up a little bit, it's from talking to those guys, and just the support they've given me over the last three years, to be able to get to a place where I could have this opportunity," Bayne said during the press conference. "To drive that 21 car has been incredible, and now I get to move on to another legendary number in the 6 car."

Three years ago, Bayne garnered fame when he became the youngest winner of the Daytona 500, which occurred one day after he turned 20 years old. It also came in just his second start in NASCAR's premier series.

Bayne is currently fifth in the Nationwide point standings. He has two career wins in that series, with his most recent victory in June 2013 at Iowa.

Last November, Bayne revealed that he had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis but was cleared by doctors and NASCAR to race.

Right now, Greg Biffle (No. 16 car), Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (No. 17) and Carl Edwards (No. 99) drive for Roush Fenway in Sprint Cup. It's not known yet if the racing organization will be a four-team operation next year. Biffle and Edwards are both in the final year of their contracts with the organization.

"Our plans for 2015 are still in a state of flux," Roush said. "Certainly the fact we've taken the No. 6 indicates that we have our plans open for a fourth car, but it's still in a state of flux. We'll have more to announce on that later."

Roush did not have any updates on the progress of contract negotiations with Edwards and Biffle.

Mark Martin drove the No. 6 for Roush from 1988 to 2006, winning 35 races in the Cup Series during that time. David Ragan was behind the wheel of it from 2007-11. The No. 6 team ceased operations after the '11 season.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

web-banner-Coaches_Corner_Main-button.jpg

WEB-Teacher-s-Back-to-School.jpg

yard-sale-tracker-300x250.png