ENSTONE, ENGLAND - Robert Kubica will miss at least the early part of the 2012 Formula One season for Renault while he recovers from injuries that once threatened his life.
Kubica crashed in the Ronde di Andora rally in Italy on Feb. 6. He sustained massive injuries to his right side - a forearm that was almost severed and leg and shoulder fractures. Renault says he can walk and has regained movement in his elbow and hand, but needs more rehabilitation.
Renault had been hoping Kubica would be its No. 1 driver from the start of season. The team said Wednesday it will talk to a few drivers for next season. Current drivers Vitaly Petrov and Bruno Senna and test driver Romain Grosjean are considered the leading candidates.