DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) - The chief executive of the Bahrain International Circuit says "all measures will be taken" to ensure the safety of the teams and fans during the Formula One race in the Gulf kingdom next month.
Bahrain has been in political turmoil for a year. The 2011 Bahrain GP was canceled due to a wave of anti-government protests and punishing government crackdowns.
Sheik Salman bin Isa Al-Khalifa tells The Associated Press that Bahrain is now safe. He said the country has moved on and is on the "path of reconciliation."
Last week, F1 world champions Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher backed the decision to go ahead with the Bahrain GP despite ongoing political strife and opposition to the race.
The Bahrain GP is set for April 22.