CHARLOTTE, NC - Track owner Bruton Smith says he would welcome IndyCar back to Las Vegas Motor Speedway if the series wants to return.
Two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon was killed in the opening laps of the Oct. 16 season finale at Las Vegas. It was IndyCar's first visit to the track since 2000.
Smith said Friday the track has a three-year contract with IndyCar that he would honor if the series is interested in returning.
IndyCar and the track had previously said the 2012 season finale would be at Las Vegas.
IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard has said he won't make any decisions on Las Vegas or any other high-banked ovals until after the investigation into Wheldon's accident is completed.