LONDON - Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone says the reinstated Bahrain Grand Prix could still be canceled because of unrest in the Gulf kingdom.
Despite ongoing anti-government protesters, the race was restored to the calendar for Oct. 30 after a vote by the World Motor Sport Council last week. It was scheduled as the season opener in March.
Ecclestone is quoted as telling The Times of London newspaper that while the FIA governing body's report says there "were no problems at all in Bahrain ... that is not what I am hearing."
At least 30 people have been killed since February in the unrest.
Ecclestone says the issue is "whether it is safe and good to have a race," pointing out that the decision can be reversed by another vote.