ATLANTA (AP) - Authorities reopened part of a metro Atlanta interstate after an accident involving seven cars and a pedestrian shut down all southbound lanes for most of the morning rush hour.
Clayton County police spokeswoman Officer Danielle Rosa told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that six of the drivers in the accident had been charged with drunk driving.
WSB Radio reports that the southbound lanes of Interstate 75 south of downtown Atlanta were closed shortly after the 3 a.m. Friday accident. The wreckage was cleared by 9 a.m.
The accident happened along I-75 in the area of C.W. Grant Parkway and Central Avenue.
Rosa said the pedestrian started walking into the interstate, which caused the seven-car pileup. The AJC reports that the pedestrian was taken to a nearby hospital in critical condition.