CANTON, Ga. (AP) - Fire department officials say a 5-year-old boy playing with a lighter started a fire in his grandmother's Cherokee County home.
Cherokee County fire department spokesman Tim Cavender tells The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that firefighters were called to the home in Canton just after 2 p.m. Thursday. They found heavy smoke coming from the two-story home.Cavender says investigators determined the fire started in a bedroom and the boy admitted he'd been playing with a cigarette lighter in there.
Cavender says part of the house was damaged by smoke, fire and water, but firefighters prevented major damage. No injuries were reported.