PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Mayor Michael Nutter is calling a report "pure speculation" that a contractor's cigarette may have caused a gas explosion that leveled a Philadelphia home, injuring eight people. A deputy fire marshal told reporters that investigators haven't been able to interview the injured contractor, who is in critical condition with burns following Monday's explosion.
Inspectors at the scene said a gas leak was to blame for leveling the unoccupied home, which was being remodeled. But officials Tuesday said they couldn't confirm gas was leaking. The mayor said all work at the site requiring permits had been completed, including installation of a hot water heater; only cosmetic work was being done. The blast came less than two months after the collapse of a wall at a demolition site that killed six people.