HOUSTON COUNTY, GA - The Houston County Board of Education approved school calendars for the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 school years during the Dec. 13, 2011, Board meeting. The calendars are similar to the model used for five years since 2007-2008. For both school years, students will begin school on Aug. 1, and the last day of the school year will be the Friday before Memorial Day.
In both calendars, teachers return to work on July 25. The calendars also have a week off in October for fall break, in November for Thanksgiving, and the first week of April for spring break. In February, there is a winter break for two or three days. Students will also be off 10 school days for Christmas and New Year's holidays.
When planning the school calendar, the following is considered:
· As required by law, students would attend school 180 days.
· The calendar schedules around state and national testing dates.
· The school year is divided as close as possible to 90 days per semester.
· The first semester ends before Christmas break so that students take finals at the end of the semester instead of after the break.
· All students have the same calendar. All teachers have the same calendar.
· Teachers have 10 professional learning and planning days, with two of these day also allowing time for parent-teacher conferences.
· The calendar observes these holidays: Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Presidents' Day.
Both calendars are posted to the HCBOE Web site on the School Calendar page at http://www.hcbe.net/school-calendar.aspx.