Mark Sheffield, an Eastman Firefighter, was at work when he heard a 911 call early Sunday morning reporting a massive blaze just 100 yards from his house at 442 Gum Swamp Road.
Sheffield says it was a strange feeling hearing his address come across the radio. " It was a sinking feeling. In my 11 years as a firefighter I never thought I'd respond or come to catch my own house on fire," says Sheffield.
The fire was so large flames could been seen from more than 5 miles away, and it took 4 different fire departments to put out the blaze.
Luckily, no one was home when the fire destroyed the house. " He was at work. His wife was staying with a friend that's dying, and the kids were with her mother. It's just wonderful that they weren't home," says family friend Barbara Hope.
The family cat, Tinkerbell, is still missing.
Sheffield says as a firefighter he knows it could have been a lot worse. "The way the fire started it could have trapped the two kids."
According to State Fire Marshall, James Atkins an electrical fire is to blame for the destruction.
If you'd like to help the Sheffield family you can donate food, clothes or money by taking those items to the Dodge County House, Sheriff's Office, or Tax Commissioner's Office.