MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) - The icy weather is keeping most people inside this week, but the Macon-Bibb Fire Department says it's crucial to protect you and your home from overheating.
Fire Chief Marvin Riggins suggests keeping your home warm, but before you use heating elements inspect all electrical and gas sources prior to using them.
Remember if there is a power outage, avoid using candles. Instead, grab a flashlight to limit the risk of causing a fire.
Riggins added the Fire Department expects a high volume of calls during this season due to an increase of fire.
"We have lots of issues...from equipment fires inside the homes-space heaters, and the like, kerosene heaters and that type of thing," Riggins says, "What we'd really like to do is to make certain that if your using these types of equipment to heat your home...make sure things [heaters] are at least three feet away from them."
Chief Riggins added for an extra safety precaution, make sure you have working smoke detectors.