JEFFERSONVILLE, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – The wait is over for Jeffersonville residents and businesses. After seven years, the streetscape project in the downtown area is finally taking shape.
The $440,000 project stretches over a quarter-mile and will increase parking. The renovations will also include solar paneled lighting, park benches, and planted trees running parallel to railroad that crosses through downtown Jeffersonville.
Mayor Shannon Hart says the new development could be a change the way people visit businesses in the downtown area.
"We're so excited because having a renovation like this in a downtown area, on a personal scale it's like having your kitchen remodeled and redone," Hart said.
Landscape architect Tim Lake has worked on the project from the very beginning.
He says the process to get the ball rolling on the development took years.
"Most of these require a match where the town pays up to 20 percent and federal dollars are administered through the state for the remaining 80 percent," Lake said.
Hart is aiming for the new development to bring more business and foot traffic to downtown Jeffersonville.
"This is going to be a big advantage, a huge asset to the city. Anytime your city looks pretty or your city looks attractive, its putting its best foot forward, its best face on, and potential businesses, potential residents come through and they say that's a town where I can proud to live," Hart said.
The streetscape project is expected to be completed by Winter 2013.