MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) -- As Louise Evans Poe was being recognized Monday morning for her years as a fire educator, her daughters were sitting in the audience with a surprise up their sleeves.
Violet Poe and her sisters presented the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department with a $1500 check at the opening ceremony for Fire Prevention Week.
Poe, who passed away in June, was recognized for teaching the Junior Fire Marshal Program at Eugenia Hamilton Elementary during her nearly four decade tenure with the Bibb County School System.
Her daughter Violet felted honored by the department's recognition of her mother, who she feels, truly deserved it.
"She was a beautiful lady and she truly loved what she did with the Junior Fire Marshal program," said Violet Poe.
The opening ceremony at the Macon Mall kicked off a week of events across the county. This year's theme is "Prevent Kitchen Fires."
Here's a list of the rest of the events:
- Monday: Fire House Subs (Forsyth Rd.) 5-8 p.m.
- Tuesday: Chick-Fil-A (Zebulon Rd., Eisenhower Pkwy.) 5-8 p.m.
- Tuesday: Texas Roadhouse (Riverside Dr.) 5-8 p.m.
- Friday: Puppet Show (Macon Mall) 7 p.m.
- Saturday: Puppet Show (Macon Mall) 5, 6, and 7 p.m.
- Saturday: Fire Demonstrations (Macon Mall) 10 a.m.-2 p.m.