MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – A large fire that gutted a plant in Bibb County and displaced hundreds of workers has been ruled accidental.
The fire at Pactiv Advanced Packaging Solutions was caused by spontaneous combustion. The company produces egg cartons from natural materials; they are heated up in industrial sized ovens and placed in stacks. According to Glenn Allen, a spokesperson for the state fire marshal's office, the heated cartons and right conditions caused it to catch fire.
Overall, the intense flames on May 1 caused $13 million in damage, $10 million to the building and $3 million in products. An estimated 400 employees have been displaced as a result of the fire.
Tori Berndt, Pactive Communications Manager, declined to comment on the fire, the workers or whether the company plans to rebuild.