MACON, Georgia (41NBC/WMGT) – Residents in Jones County are coming together to help a family that lost everything in a fire.
41 NBC news crews were at the scene as a large blaze destroyed a home on Champion Drive Sunday night. Veronica Jones and her family were inside when the fire sparked. Everyone made it out safely but the home was a complete loss.
"It was just quick," Jones said, "it went very quickly."
The local American Red Cross chapter provided the family of five with housing, clothes and food. But with the smoke now clear, it's hard to move past the rubble.
"We worked so hard for this," said Katilyn Jones, daughter of Veronica, "it's so sad."
Once word spread through the community about the fire at Veronica's homes, donations started pouring in.
"Whether it's moral support or prayers or any financial assistance that we can," said neighbor Daylon Martin, "we're going to do what we can to help."
Even people who don't know the Jones personally are pitching in to help the family rebuild. Veronica has received everything from sitter services to baby formula.
"Just to know these people don't even know us," Veronica said, "that felt good, that was great. I just really appreciate it."