MACON,Georgia (41NBC/WMGT)-A household product is getting into the wrong hands; young children are eating laundry detergent pods. Georgia Poison Center officials said the small Tide pods are packaged in bright colors which has led some children to mistake them for candy.
According to the Georgia Poison Center in Atlanta, within the last two months more than 400 cases involving children swallowing these pods have been reported nationwide. Two dozens of those cases were in Georgia. Nausea and vomiting are a couple of symptoms one might experience if laundry detergent pods are ingested.
"Some folks have even gone into the hospital and either had seizure activity or have required airway protection and tubes inserted just to give them a breathing passage. So, it can be dangerous," said Dr Gaylord Lopez, Director of Georgia Poison Center.
Procter and Gamble Spokesman Paul Fox said the Cincinnati-based company plans to create a new double-latch lid on tubs of Tide pods. If you think your child has been poisoned by these pods, give the Georgia Poison Center a call at 1-800- 222-1222.