WMGT-TV, which has always been an NBC affiliate, began broadcasting on September 30, 1968 as WCWB-TV. We were the second commercial station started in the Middle Georgia market, competing with the local CBS affiliate which began in 1953. Macon did not get a full ABC affiliate until 1982.
WCWB was founded by Dothan, Alabama broadcaster Charles Woods. He sold the station to a local group known as Bibb Television, Inc. in 1974.
Morris bought the station in 1978 marking the company's entry into the broadcasting business. Its studios were located at the transmitter location 15 miles east of Macon on what Middle Georgians call "Cochran Short Route" (US-129).
The station renamed itself WMGT in 1983, to reflect the Middle Georgia area it serves. One final change to the station's legal call sign took place in 2003, when the -TV suffix was added, because of a radio station also holding the WMGT call sign in Minnesota.
In 1992, WMGT closed its news department and for the next 12 years aired no local newscasts. In 2000, the station moved into a two-story renovated warehouse in downtown Macon, adding to the revitalization of the historic area and signifying future growth for the station. WMGT-TV relaunched its news department in September of 2004.
On April 3, 2006, the station retired its "41" logo and "41 NBC" branding in favor of a new logo and branding, Today's MGT.
On February 17, 2009, WMGT-TV terminated its analog signal and continued to broadcast its 41.1 digital signal. The digital-only broadcasting is reflected in the new "WMGT-DT" call sign.
On March 23, 2009, WMGT-DT rebranded itself as "41 NBC" and launched a new logo to reflect its fresh approach to delivering news to the Middle Georgia area.